The Department of Geology was established in 2010 as an undergraduate department and, thus, it is a relatively young department in Hooghly Mohsin College, the antiquity of which goes back to as early as 1836. On 2016 the post graduate studies was introduced in the department of Geology.
|Sl.||Programme||Level of study|
|1||B.Sc. Geology (Hons.)||U.G.(HONS)|
|3||M.Sc. in Geology||P.G.|
|Sl. No.||Name of the Teachers||Designation||Qualification||Specialization|
|1||Samiran Mahapatra||Associate Professor & HEAD||M. Sc. Tech (ISM Dhanbad), M. Tech (Mineral Exploration) (ISM Dhanbad), Ph. D. (BU);||SEDIMENTOLOGY, MINERAL EXPLORATION|
|2||Sandip Bandyopadhyay||Associate Professor||M. Sc. (BU) , Ph. D. (JU)||STRUCTURAL GEOLOGY|
|3||Pinaki Saha||Associate Professor||M. Sc. (CU)||SEDIMENTOLOGY ECONMIC GEOLOGY|
|4||Nivedita Lahiri||Assistant Professor||M. Sc. (JU)||METAMORPHIC GEOLOGY|
|Year||Program Code||Program Name||Number of students appeared in the final year examination||Number of students passed in final year examination||Highest/Name & Roll No.|
|2017-2020||B.Sc. in Geology(H)||B.Sc. (Honours)||11||11||9.89 (CGPA_CC)/10
|2018-2021||B.Sc. in Geology(H)||B.Sc. (Honours)||06||06||9.44(CGPA_CC)/10
|Year||Program Code||Program Name||Number of students appeared in the final year examination||Number of students passed in final year examination||Highest/Name & Roll No|
|2018-2020||M.Sc. in Geology||M.Sc.||6||6||9.67/10 (CGPA)
MANISH CHAKRABORTY BURGEO2018/002
|2019-2021||M.Sc. in Geology||M.Sc.||8||8||9.25/10 (CGPA)
AVIK DHAR, BURGEO2019/004
1. Ms. Archita Bhattacharyya, B. Sc. (Hons) 3rd Year, Roll No. 16SH/405/0012, 2017 has been awarded 1st prize in the debate writing competition held on the occasion of the Vigilance Awareness Week (2017) at Central Headquarters, Geological Survey of India, Kolkata.
2. Ms. Pritishna Das, M. Sc. Geology (Roll No. BUR GEO 2017/003, Registration No. 075604 of 2014-15) has been awarded 1st prize in Debate on the theme titled “Strengthening of vigilance system is the only solution for eradicating corruption” held during the observance of the Vigilance Awareness Week (2018) at Central Headquarters, Geological Survey of India, Kolkata.
3. “Prithvi 2019, Conducted by IIT, Kharagpur in association with SPG (Society for Petroleum Geologist) & SEG (Society of Exploration Geophysics), 1st position in the GEOCLICK event, Rupam Sarkar
4. “Prithvi 2019, Conducted by IIT, Kharagpur in association with SPG (Society for Petroleum Geologist) & SEG (Society of Exploration Geophysics), 3rd position in the Geo Modelling event, Rupam Sarkar (Roll No. 170340500090, Registration No. 201601063215 OF 2016-17)
5. “Dekho Apna Desh Online Photography Competition-2020” organised by Indiatourism, Kolkata, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, 2nd Position in “Jungle & Wildlife” category, Rupam Sarkar (Roll No. 170340500090, Registration No. 201601063215 OF 2016-17)
6. “Dekho Apna Desh Online Photography Competition-2020” organised by Indiatourism, Kolkata, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, 5th Position in “Heritage” category Rupam Sarkar (Roll No. 170340500090, Registration No. 201601063215 OF 2016-17)
7. Finally selected; Ranked 49 (Pritishna Das, Roll No. BUR GEO 2017/003, Registration No. 075604 of 2014-15) and 66 (Bithika Mondal, Roll No. 15SH/405/0039, Registration No. 075300 of 2014-2015, Done B. Sc. Honours from our department) in UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist Examination, 2020. Result published on 30/07/2021.
|Sl. No.||Name of the Student, Roll No. & Regn. No.||Year of Passing||Appointment Details||Date of Appointment|
|1||MODHURIMA DAS GUPTA
(BURGEO2018/003, 201501060437 of 2015-16)
|2020 (PG)||Trainee Artisan, Trainee Artisan, Grade III, Eastern Railway.||17/03/2020|
(BUR GEO 2017/004, 024306 of 2013-14)
|2019 (PG)||Geologist, United Exploration India Pvt. Ltd.||15/01/2021|
(BUR GEO 2017/005, 008500 of 2014-15)
|2019 (PG)||GPR (Ground penetrating Radar) Operator & Team Leader, SUE (Subsurface Utility Engineering) Survey Team, Chaitaniya Instruments Pvt. Ltd. (Under Reliance JIO)||12/03/2021|
(170340500134, 201701042736 OF 2017-18)
|2020 (UG)||Junior Clerk cum Typist, Level-2, Eastern Railway, Howrah Division||25/03/2021|
|2019 (UG)||GDS, Department of Post, Govt. of India||2021|
|2019 (UG)||Graduate Trainee, Cognizant||20/07/2021|
(BUR GEO 2017/003, 075604 of 2014-15)
|2019 (UG)||Selected in UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist Examination, 2020.||30/07/2021|
|2017 (UG||Selected in UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist Examination, 2020.||30/07/2021|
(BURGEO2019/004, 201601063150 of 2016-17)
|2021 (PG)||Graduate Trainee, Cognizant||13/08/2021|
(BURGEO2018/001, 201501060422 of 2015-16)
|2020 (PG)||Trainee Geologist (Contractual), ELITech Earth Science Pvt. Ltd.||17/08/2021|
(BUR GEO 2017/001, 075215 of 2014-15)
|2019 (PG)||Assistant Manager, Axis Bank.||15/09/2021|
DEPARTMENTAL SEMINARS/WEBINARS/WORKSHOPS HELD DURING THE SESSIONS 2016-17 TO 2020-21
A state level Webinar was conducted by the Department of Geology, Hooghly Mohsin College, on 14th June 2021 from 3:30 – 5:30 pm, on the topic ‘Critical Zone Studies: The role of Geology’. The speaker was Prof. (Dr.) Kalyan Adhikari, Head of the Department of Earth and Environmental Studies, NIT Durgapur, who is also a member of the Accreditation Committee, Groundwater Consultant Organization, QCI-NABET, i.e., Quality Council of India, National Accreditation Board for Education and Training. Faculty members and students of various colleges and universities, viz. Presidency College (Kolkata), Jadavpur University, Calcutta University, IIEST (Shibpur, Howrah), Kabi Jagadram Roy Government General Degree College (Mejia), Shahid Matangini Hazra Government College for Women (Purba Medinipur), Government General Degree College (Gopiballavpur, Jhargram), attended the Webinar, besides those of Hooghly Mohsin College. Prof. Adhikari delivered a vivid lecture that enlightened all the attendees, which sparked a lively interaction session. The Webinar ended with a vote of thanks from HOD, Department of Geology, Hooghly Mohsin College.
The initiative taken by the Department of Geology to launch an online magazine has paved the way for many students to discover their hidden talentsand express their views on various topics.