Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Hooghly Mohsin College
The Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of Hooghly Mohsin College was established in 2007, shortly after the College was awarded its first-cycle accreditation with 83% score in the same year by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), an autonomous body under the University Grants Commission (UGC). Since then the IQAC has been reconstituted periodically in accordance with the NAAC guidelines with a senior member of the teaching staff as its coordinator.
In conformity with the spirit that NAAC espouses, the IQAC functions not as just another layer in the administrative hierarchy. Though its ambit is all-embracing, the IQAC functions as an advisory and facilitating body rather than as a source of administrative instructions. As a catalyst, the College IQAC strives to synergize activities of the different wings of the College. Its responsibility is to nurture an environment that is congenial to an ideal teaching learning process, research activities, and a transparent and efficient administrative process which is sensitive to stakeholders’ needs. Its responsibility also includes ensuring incentive compatibility for the stakeholders to discharge their respective functions to their full potential.
To this end IQAC gathers required information through regular interactions with stakeholders and periodic feedbacks through questionnaires from them. Important issues are deliberated on in its meetings. The College Principal being the Chairperson of IQAC, the suggestions for improvement put forward by IQAC has an in-built communication route.
IQAC has found that following a few practices can perceptibly enhance the quality of functioning of the College. The salient ones are the following.
- Moving toward a full-fledged information management system is a must in view of the immense usefulness of correct and adequate data in decision making as well as in performing routine tasks.
- Appropriately decentralized decision making and implementation process works toward optimal use of resources and imparts a sense of responsibility to the units which are granted a degree of autonomy.
- Regular interactions among stakeholders not only make for a smooth flow of information but useful suggestions are also made available.
- Follow up on stakeholders’ feedback is not only a way to promote better functioning, but also a way of boosting the morale of the stakeholders.
- Taking care of stakeholders’ requirements in a timely manner is an effective way to keep them focused on their primary job, be it study, research, teaching, or office work.
- Use of ‘nudge’ rather than ‘push’, and consultation rather than one-way flow of instructions work better in getting things done in the most suitable way.
- Preparation of a well thought out, prioritized plan of actions at the beginning of each academic session, continuous reviewing throughout the year, and an assessment at the end of the year together ensure better results as well as greater accountability.
The College IQAC is committed to a comprehensive SWOT analysis so that the dynamic potential of the College is never lost sight of.
Internal Quality Assurance Cell Composition-2021
- Dr. Purushottam Pramanik, Principal & Ex-officio Chairperson
- Sri Suresh Nath Bairagya, Asoociate Professor of Mathematics, (Coordinator)
- Sri Debabrata Lahiri, Associate Professor of Economics, (Member)
- Dr. Bimal Kumar Mondal, Associate Professor of Physics, (Member)
- Sri Arghya Panigrahi, Associate Professor of Physiology, (Member)
- Dr. Sandip Banerjee, Associate Professor of Geology, (Member)
- Dr. Asmita Mittra, Associate Professor of Chemistry, (Member)
- Dr. Jayita Dutta, Associate Professor of Bengali, (Member)
- Dr. Jayanta Majumdar, Associate Professor of Mathematics, (Member)
- Dr. Santanu Chakraborty, Principal, Govt General Degree College, Singur, (Member, Senior Administrative Personnel)
- Mohonlal Ghosh, General Secretary, Alumni Association of the college, ( Member)
- Atanu Saha, Assistant Professor of Physiology, Sister Nivedita General Degree College for Girls, Alipore, Nominee from Local Society(Member)
- Sabita Barui, Stakeholder (Member)
- Sri Sunirmal Bhattacharya, Nominee from Employee(Member)
- General Secretary, Students’ Council (Member, Students’ Category)
Action taken report of IQAC Minutes of the meeting 26.10.2021